Yesterday United States President, Donald J. Trump, released his administration’s Africa Strategy which focuses on advancing prosperity, security, and stability. Trump is quoted saying “We hope to extend our economic partnerships with countries who are committed to self-reliance and to fostering opportunities for job creation in both Africa and the United States”.
On prosperity – here are the key points on it:
- President Donald J. Trump’s Africa Strategy will advance trade and commercial ties to increase prosperity in the United States and Africa.
- The Trump Administration is developing the “Prosper Africa” initiative to support this goal.
- The initiative will support open markets for American businesses, grow Africa’s middle class, promote youth employment opportunities, and improve the business climate.
- Supporting economic growth and development in Africa delivers mutual benefits to the United States and our partners in Africa.
- President Trump’s Africa Strategy will benefit Americans by creating jobs, expanding exports from the United States, and increasing reciprocity with our African trading partners.
- The President will use the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) to promote deeper trade ties and fair trade with sub-Saharan African states.
- The Administration will encourage African leaders to choose sustainable foreign investments that help states become self-reliant, unlike those offered by China that impose undue costs.
I am yet to comment as soon as I get through the daily madness that’s on my desk at the moment. For now, you can access the full statement here.
Follow me on Twitter (@WandileSihlobo). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org